The secret of my Hygge office decor
December 16, 2017 9:39 pm
Although I'm perfectly at home with organizing, I'm still working hard on my English. So please excuse any grammatical errors :)
My quest for a happy lifestyle drew me to a pretty, hard-cover book in a local bookstore.
The book is called “The Little Book of Hygge” (pronounced hoo-ga) which introduces Danish way of happy lifestyle. Hygge means something nice, cozy, safe and known, referring to a psychological state in Danish, the people whom, according to the book, put a big value on Hygge in their daily life. Since Denmark is considered to be the happiest country in the world, it’s worth while to check out what Hygge actually is for them, and may be we can borrow some ideas from it.
What is actually Hygge for them?
In order to enjoy the Danish style of Hygge, the book listed up some very Hygge items such as:
- Wood burning fire places
- Candle light decor
- Hot drinks
- A cozy nook
- A comfy blanket and pillows
- Relaxing music
- Nice company
My Hygge office decor
So I gave it a try with my office decor:
- I decided to work from a blue comfy love-seat couch right next to the window, which is near a wood fire place (though we rarely make fires)
- The “office / living” room is facing the front of the house, and the window overlooks a school yard where my son goes weekdays.
- I put vanilla scented candle on the window sill.
- Before I start working, I usually prepare a big bowl of Chai latte with a mason jar full of healthy treats in case I get hungry while working.
- Two cushions to support my back and one for my legs, and a fluffy velvet like blanket perfect for my size.
- I put Spotify music through a good quality speaker, something slow and relaxing jazz like songs. “Cry me a river by Julie London”, “La vie en rose by Laura Fygi” are my favorites.
- My cat is the best work company at my office. He sometimes gives me a visit and sits next to me.
As a result, I do think it makes a big difference! I feel relaxed and good. It also increases the productivity while going through stressful tasks like preparing work contracts, or building this website. Sometimes it’s quite surprising to realize how much the environment and decor affect our mind subconsciously. So just surround yourself with your favorite items as much as you can. Especially in the office where people usually don’t seek comfortable aspects.
In conclusion, the Hygge decor is the best!